Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Celebrity Talks Character with <b>Aspergers</b> on FX Series "The Bridge <b>...</b>


This blog post is from actor/celebrity Diane Kruger. You can see Diane play the character Sonya Cross, a detective who has Asperger Syndrome on FX’s new hit series “The Bridge” on Wednesdays at 10 PM EST!



Diane Kruger playing Sonya Cross in “The Bridge” Photo Courtesy: FX



When I first signed on to portray Sonya Cross, a detective who has Aspergers for The Bridge, I knew very little about autism.  Even after countless books and internet research, I could only begin to grasp what it must be like living with this condition.  But one thing became immediately clear: there was no way I was going to be able to give an authentic performance without spending time with someone with Aspergers.  Actors tend to work inside out when approaching a character for the first time.  So I asked FX to help me find a consultant. Luckily an executive vice president at FX named Chuck Saftler jumped in to help. As you know, Chuck is a tireless advocate for Autism Speaks and quickly put me in touch with Alex Plank, a very bright and charming young man with Aspergers. Alex allowed me into his world….unafraid of what I might ask or see, he is truly the reason I finally felt capable to become Sonya.  And then something else — I fell completely in love with Sonya.  I am so incredibly fond and protective of her and I want to show all of her colors and nuances to the best of my abilities.  It all started to make sense.  Not that I could ever do it 100% justice, because…how could I?  But because of Autism Speaks and Alex Plank I`ve come to understand what autism is and how it impacts one’s life and the people around them.  I feel like I finally “know” Sonya…and my life has forever changed because of her.



I want to thank all of you, and especially Alex, for the help and invitation to learn about autism and I truly hope that you will be proud of our joint work when you watch The Bridge.  I know I sleep easier at night, knowing that Alex is there…every day…watching out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment